SDNR COVID-19 Closure 4-17-20
April 17, 2020
Dear SDNR Students and Parents,
Yesterday, Governor Evers extended the “Safer at Home” order from April 24 to May 26, 2020 (click here to view Governor Evers' Emergency Order #28). This order includes the closure of all Wisconsin schools for the remainder of the school year. We know this decision was not taken lightly and all entities are struggling with our current pandemic. Today, our various remote meetings included many tears as staff try to comprehend that the school year will end in this manner. However, we do find comfort that this decision reinforces the District’s stance on safety as our number one priority.
With the extension of the school closure order, many more questions remain. Below are next steps for the School District of New Richmond students and families:
- Students and staff will continue remote learning through the end of the school year. As a District, we have created a learning calendar based on the state closure timelines. Families received information on April 5, 2020 with instructions on remote learning through April, 24, 2020. Detailed plans for remote learning past this date will be sent out next week as staff have anticipated this possibility and are prepared to offer new learning K-12.
- We continue to address the needs of our students in efforts to provide new instructional materials and devices to the greatest extent possible. We encourage all of our students to continue with remote learning and communicating with teachers as needed.
- The District will be making a decision on when student instruction for the 2019-2020 school year will end along with information on a process for students to pick up personal items left at school and how to return items after remote learning is complete. This information will be shared with students and families as soon as it becomes available.
- At this time, no decision has been made about Summer Stretch. Our hope is that this learning opportunity will be able to take place but be prepared as adjustments may be needed if restrictions remain in place or if state and local officials have additional orders.
- Our hearts go out to all our students as we know they want to return to our buildings and a sense of normalcy. Most of all, we wish we had comforting words for our NRHS Class or 2020. At this time, we know questions do remain about the various milestones events they are missing. Please know, we are working diligently to create alternative celebrations and honors to acknowledge these important moments for our seniors. The one thing we can say at this point in time is that we will be conducting a face-to-face graduation ceremony for our class of 2020 when it is safe to do so. We are determined to provide that lasting memory to our seniors.
Finally, the SDNR Nutrition department will continue to provide meals on Monday and Thursday at the following locations:
- Starr Elementary (bus parking lot) 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. 967 South Starr Ave, New Richmond, WI 54017
- Deer Path Townhomes (parking lot) 10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. 665 Monette Ave, New Richmond, WI 54017
- Croft Place Apartments (parking lot) 11:20 a.m. - 11:50 a.m. 233 Croft St., New Richmond, WI 54017
- The Centre (parking lot) 11:55 a.m. - 12:25 p.m. 425 E 5th St., New Richmond, WI 54017
- Star Prairie (village lot near post office) 12:35 p.m. - 1:05 p.m. 300 Main Street, Star Prairie, WI 54026
We will continue to be provide additional communications as appropriate. At any time, please feel free to contact any member of the administration team for further assistance. Please also feel free to visit the District’s COVID-19 page by clicking HERE.
Once again, thank you for your patience, understanding, and flexibility during this unprecedented time. Be safe and be well as TOGETHER we will get through this!
Patrick B. Olson