On Monday October 17-2016, the Board of Education approved the 2017-18 District calendar (NOTE: revised 7/17/17) which I have attached to this message. This calendar development process went through a comprehensive vetting process which included staff and parent surveys along with numerous discussions at all levels. I would like to thank you for your input as it helped shape this decision and provided great feedback.
As you will see, the main adjustment to this calendar from previous years is the change from early out Wednesdays to full day in-service days. The key rationale for this calendar change is to maximize student instruction and provide consistent building blocks for staff professional learning through a collaborative model. Full day in-service days offer our staff a cohesive and scaffolding collaboration opportunity that maximizes efficiency.
Student and Staff Impact:
- Minimal change to overall instructional hours for the year.
- Elimination of modified schedules at all levels to create a consistent learning day for students.
- Increased professional learning time for staff which in turn benefits our students.
- Families will have built in three day weekends for trips and appointments alleviating lost instructional time and absenteeism.
- The addition of a spring break which was a popular request from the surveys.
- As some parents indicated in the survey, this change will ease the ability to find daycare.
Again, I would like to thank you for your input in this decision making process, and we look forward to this change to help support our overall core purpose which is to: Inspire every student to learn to his or her potential. This is further supported by our Core Values: of excellence, respect, integrity, learning, passion, diversity and collaboration.
Please feel free to contact me anytime with concerns, questions, or comments. You may also visit our website at www.newrichmond.k12.wi.us or visit our social media outlets of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to receive daily updates on all of the great experiences we are having here at the School District of New Richmond.
Patrick B. Olson
School District New Richmond